In this Whiff, we turn our attention to Gameweek 1 reviews, Fantasy analysis, bonus points, fixtures, transfers, and the weekly whiffs.
In addition to my Gameweek 1 Review, I liked the always excellent Lineup Lessons from Chris Glover at PL Fantasy, FPL Dugout’s Early Thoughts, Never Captain Nicky Butt’s Saturday Musings, and Fantasy Football Scout’s Big Numbers.
The Fantasy Gaffer looked at the bonus points awarded, finding hints that defensive play have a greater effect in the EAS PPI, the formula used to distribute bonus points.
Fantasy Football Cheat examines the fixtures, recommending Swansea, Spurs, Everton, West Ham, Wigan, and Manchester United over the next three Gameweeks.
“Do defences really strengthen as the season progresses?”, asks Chris Glover at PL Fantasy in an excellent pre-season piece.
Zonal Marking analyses Manchester United’s 4-2-1-3 formation against Everton, noting that after Van Persie’s introduction the “block of three [forwards] were interchangeable, but Kagawa’s position was permanent”.
John Burn-Murdoch created a visual representation of Opta data for last season that Manchester City opened up to the community. The graphs ranks players for different skills and attributes based on detailed performance data.
Aaron, at FPL Dugout, reports on the transfer of Dawson to QPR and Adebayor to Tottenham. He recommends holding on to Defoe for the home game against West Brom despite being a “very risky option”.
Manchester City issued an update to Aguero’s injury, ruling him out until after the international break.
- …whiff of genius: An epic piece of commentary from Ray Hudson: “A wet dream of orgasmic proportions”http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99zysFK7yxM
- …whiff of tekkers: Three excellent goals from the first Gameweek of the Premier League season.
- …sentimental whiff: Bolton midfielder Fabrice Muamba retires.
- …stupid whiff: Andre Santos allegedly arrested for suspicion of dangerous driving.
- …funny whiff: Gerard Pique’s serial killer face.
Am I missing interesting analysis or articles this week? I would love to hear from you so please leave your comment and/or link in the comment section.